Description of the course
The free online course «Fundamentals of Software Testing» is designed specifically for beginners in the software testing industry.
We have included into the course a maximum of useful information that will be helpful for you when starting work at the position of QA Intern. It will also help you to understand the direction of the further development in this specialty.
When you complete an online course, you will learn how to distinguish a bug from a feature, describe bug reports in the Mantis Bug Tracker system and practice to test a variety of software, games, mobile and PC applications and many more interesting things.
The course is intended for:
- everyone who wants to get theoretical knowledge and practical experience in the software testing necessary for working at the position of QA Intern;
- those who have already worked as a tester and want to expand their base of theoretical knowledge and practical skills;
- specialists with the experience in any other job not related to IT but with a great desire to change the job and area of activity.
Conditions of selecting students for course
You need to successfully pass the admission test to study on the free online course “Fundamentals of Software Testing”.
Other requirements: access to the Internet, a few hours a day for training and a desire to gain new knowledge.
Pass the admission test
Access to the Internet
Lectures are held in English language and homework must be done in language mentioned above.
After the course completion, you will be able to:
Be guided by the main types of testing.
Prioritize and perform the correct checks while software testing according to the assignment.
Use the initial skills of manual testing into practice and describe defects correctly.
Create test documentation (checklists, test cases, test plans).
Work with different systems for tracking bugs, creating test cases, etc.
To master a new specialty and apply for the position of QA Intern in any IT company.
Lecture 1. Introductory part. What is a bug (defect)
- Course description. Goals and program
- Description of the benefits of working as a tester and development paths
- Bug reporting rules
- Bug life cycle
- Tools for creating screenshots
- Reporting bugs
Lecture 2. WEB-projects testing
- Stages of web-projects testing
- The eternal circle of testing
- Web-page anatomy
- Checklist for website testing
- Testing layout
- Bugs searching in layout
- Cross-browser testing
- Web-design testing tools
Lecture 3. Approaches to the Functional Testing
- Web form testing
- Searching for functional bugs
- Testing techniques. Equivalence partitioning
- Boundary scenarios
- Checklist for checking site functionality
- Testing without requirements
- Informal testing techniques
Lecture 4. Software Testing Life Cycle
- Testing as a method of quality assurance
- The importance of quality software
- Software life cycle
- Testing stages
- Definition of a test plan
- Creating a test plan
- Testing strategies and scope of work
- Scrum methodology
- Planning/Scrum Poker is a planning tool
- Jira Software is an Agile project management tool
- Roles in the software development process
Lecture 5. Test design. Test cases
- The concept of test design technique
- Test cases and their attributes
- Quality criteria for test cases
- Test design tools (TestLink, TestRail)
- Creating test cases for a web project
- Test case life cycle
Lecture 6. Mobile App Testing
- Modern mobile platforms
- Stages of mobile application development
- Installation of mobile applications
- Features of testing applications on mobile devices
- Examples of bugs
- Taking screenshots on mobile devices
- Using iOS, Android emulators
- Features of reporting bug reports
Lecture 7. Game testing
- Game genres and mechanics
- Checking performance measurements in games
- Functional testing of games
- Compatibility testing
- Localization testing and features of the description of bugs in games