Aware of all the techniques and processes that improves your efficiency, skills and confidence to jump start into the field of Software Testing.
- Basic knowledge of IT/Software would be helpful.
Hello and welcome, this course introduces a practical approach to testing software. It bridges the gap between theoretical knowledge and real world implementation. This article helps you gain an insight to Software Testing – understand technical aspects and the processes followed in a real working environment.
Who will benefit?
Beginners. For those of you who wish to mould your theoretical software engineering knowledge into practical approach to working in the real world.
Those who wish to take up Software Testing as a profession.
Developers! This is an era where you need to be an “All rounder”. It is advantageous for developers to posses testing capabilities to test the application before hand. This will help reduce overhead on the testing team.
Already a Tester! You can refresh all your testing basics and techniques and gear up for Certifications in Software Testing
An earnest suggestion: No matter which profession you choose, it is advisable that you posses the following skills:
– Good communication skills – oratory and writing
– Fluency in English
– Good Typing skills
By the time you finish reading this article, you will be aware of all the techniques and processes that improves your efficiency, skills and confidence to jump start into the field of Software Testing.
Following are some facts that can help you gain a better insight into the realities of Software Engineering.
- The best programmers are up to 28 times better than the worst programmers.
- New tools/techniques cause an initial LOSS of productivity/quality.
- The answer to a feasibility study is almost always “yes”.
- A May 2002 report prepared for the National Institute of Standards and Technologies (NIST)(1) estimates the annual cost of software defects in the United States as $59.5 billion.
- Reusable components are three times as hard to build
- For every 25% increase in problem complexity, there is a 100% increase in solution
- 80% of software work is intellectual. A fair amount of it is creative. Little of it is clerical.
- Requirements errors are the most expensive to fix during production.
- Missing requirements are the hardest requirement errors to correct.
- Error-removal is the most time-consuming phase of the life cycle.
- Software is usually tested at best at the 55-60% (branch) coverage level.
- 100% coverage is still far from enough.
- Rigorous inspections can remove up to 90% of errors before the first test case is run.
- Maintenance typically consumes 40-80% of software costs. It is probably the most important life cycle phase of software.
- Enhancements represent roughly 60% of maintenance costs.
- There is no single best approach to software error removal.
Who this course is for:
- Beginners. For those of you who wish to mould your theoretical software engineering knowledge into practical approach to working in the real world.
- Developers! This is an era where you need to be an “All rounder”. It is advantageous for developers to posses testing capabilities to test the application before hand. This will help reduce overhead on the testing team.
- Already a Tester! You can refresh all your testing basics and techniques and gear up for Certifications in Software Testing
5 sections • 27 lectures • 1h 32m total lengthExpand all sections
Introduction7 lectures • 20min
- 1. Introduction to the Course01:53
- 2. The Big Picture03:11
- 3. What is Software Testing & Why should one Test it?01:26
- 4. What is Quality in Terms of Software Testing02:39
- 5. What in the World Does a Tester Do?01:20
- 6. What Makes a Good Tester?03:43
- 7. A Few Guidelines for New Tester05:54
Different Types of Life Cycles3 lectures • 13min
- 8. What is Software Life Cycle?04:26
- 9. Various Life Cycle Models Explained03:29
- 10. Software Testing Life Cycles05:13
Bugs & Errors4 lectures • 9min
- 11. What are Bugs?04:23
- 12. What is a Bug Life Cycle?02:33
- 13. Cost of Fixing Bugs01:17
- 14. Different Types of Errors00:59
Software Testing Levels, Types, Terms and Definitions3 lectures • 19min
- 15. Different Software Testing Levels & Types12:14
- 16. Testing Terms02:42
- 17. Different Types of Errors04:24
Test Planning Process10 lectures • 31min
- 18. What is a Test Strategy and its Components?02:22
- 19. What is Test Planning?02:01
- 20. Guidelines for Test Case Development02:59
- 21. Test Case Described07:23
- 22. What is a Defect and What are Some of its Categories?03:06
- 23. How to Report Defects?04:14
- 24. Types of Test Reports02:30
- 25. Software Test Automation02:12
- 26. Approaches to Automation02:53
- 27. Choosing the Right Tools.01:17